The right jewelry can make or break any outfit. Yet “worst-dressed” lists always focus on the designer gowns and never go into any detail about the disastrous jewelry pieces that so often accompany them. This is why we’ve decided to compile our own list of red carpet jewelry disasters. Enjoy our tour of the celebrity accessories that have made good outfits bad – and horrendous outfits even worse.
1. Heidi Klum. Heidi Klum’s John Galliano gown in dramatic red silk taffeta commanded enough attention all by itself. Then she accessorized and in one swoop, she managed to turn a breath-taking dress into a “worst dressed” candidate. If her earrings, wrist cuff and multiple bauble rings seem a bit “matchy matchy” to you, there’s a reason – they’re all from the same collection. Which collection, you ask? The Heidi Klum Collection for Mouawad. A word of advice: do not become a walking jewelry case by wearing an entire collection at once, especially your own. Had we been styling Heidi, we’d have recommended only one statement piece (preferably one that doesn’t look as though it was created during craft time by a pre-teen with a shoebox full of rhinestones). We think this satin ball sterling silver necklace would have been a much more elegant selection.
2. Ke$ha. We’re guessing it’s no coincidence that Ke$ha’s accessories match the backdrop at this red carpet photo op. The party was hosted by Casio in order to promote its line of Baby-G watches, most of which Ke$ha is wearing here along with her outfit. Now, designers will often sponsor celebrities and lend them accessories for advertising purposes, but when they make it this painfully obvious it’s just tacky. Plus, Ke$ha seems to be so weighed down by her jewels that she needs to hold her arm in the upright position just to restore circulation. We’re thinking this bangle bracelet would have been a much better choice.
3. Cher. One way to tell if you’re making a regrettable jewelry choice is to ask yourself this question: “Does my necklace somehow morph into a bra?” With Cher’s outfit, we’re not even sure where the jewelry ends and the outfit begins. When you’re wearing a giant feathered headdress, you might want to consider going a bit lighter on the rest of your look. “It was all about fun,” the 1986 Oscar presenter later said of the Bob Mackie creation. We have to admit, it did make us giggle.
4. Lady Gaga. Even if you were to replace Lady Gaga’s meat ensemble with a simple black dress, her jewelry would still be bad enough to make this list. As if Franc Fernandez’s design wasn’t shocking enough, Gaga decided to blind us with enough bling to outfit several high-end chandeliers. We’ll say it again: One statement piece at a time please!
5. Jodie Marsh. This outfit was so revealing that we opted not to even show you (although if you’re curious you can search “Jodie Marsh FHM”). Known for her risque clothing choices, British glamour model Jodie Marsh walked the carpet at the FHM awards wearing only belts and jewelry. How can you tell if your accessories complement your outfit or if your accessories are your outfit? Even if you were to slip a black dress under everything, Jodie’s blinged-out cuffs would still be enough to reflect every flashbulb in a ten-mile radius. Sometimes you just need to scrap everything and start from square one. This is one of those times.
Even if you won’t be strolling down the red carpet in the near future, we hope you’ve learned a lot from these jewelry disasters. If you’d like to avoid making the same mistakes as these celebrities, choose Ispirada pieces for your next important event. With our classic jewelry, you’ll leave everyone with a memorable impression, not a picture they wish they could forget.